C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable, and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labor, business, the youth climate movement, and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 350 + staff with offices in London, New York, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing, and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in London.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), and Realdania.
C40 is committed to supporting and promoting equity and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment for everyone. We believe that when people with different life experiences are involved in decision-making, we deliver better.
We believe having a diverse workforce ensures we connect better with all the different communities and people affected by the climate crisis. This enables us to make better decisions which leads to better outcomes in the work we do through increased creativity, productivity, and greater global impact alongside a broader perspective and approach to our work.
We welcome applicants who are diverse in terms of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, and perspective. Our goal is for C40 to be an environment where everyone, from any background, can flourish and can be themselves whilst contributing to our mission. If you identify as a person with a disability, we work to provide reasonable appropriate measures and any additional support needed to provide an equitable working experience. If you are living with a disability, chronic illness, or neurodiversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
C40 promotes a work culture where staff can input to improve equity, diversity, and inclusion through staff-led groups and formal forums. We know that creating our ideal working environment is a learning process and we are committed to the ongoing effort.
C40 Climate Solutions and Networks
C40’s Climate Solutions and Networks (CSN) team oversees six program areas focused on priority climate action sectors and interventions: Energy and Buildings; Transportation; Urban Planning; Food and Waste; Air Quality; and Climate Resilience. Under these program areas, CSN operates 16 different networks that facilitate city-to-city best practice sharing on specific climate action areas, such as clean energy or zero-emission vehicles. The networks help cities replicate, improve, and accelerate climate action to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.
These city-only working groups provide for honest knowledge and experience exchange, enabling cities to tap into the global expertise of their peers as well as connect with technical partners. Through networks, cities find opportunities to undertake joint projects in areas of mutual interest and benefit. C40 networks also amplify individual city solutions by providing a global platform for showcasing city success. The result is that cities’ climate actions to reduce GHGs, air pollutants, and climate risks are bolder, fairer, and more impactful than if they were to go it alone.
A number of these programs and networks also offer direct support to cities through technical assistance projects, training, tools, and resources, often in conjunction with other C40 teams and programs. The CSN team also supports cities to deliver on the mayoral commitments made through C40’s accelerators including, but not limited to, the Green & Healthy Streets Accelerator, the Net Zero Carbon Buildings Accelerator, and the Towards Zero Waste Accelerator. The C40 accelerators are statements of political leadership giving cities an opportunity to show leadership globally and locally.
The Transportation Programme supports the creation of compact and connected cities and the reduction of emissions from the transportation sector. The program helps cities: 1) reduce the need for journeys through compact, connected planning; 2) shift journeys to low-carbon modes of transport such as public transport, walking, and cycling; 3) improve the efficiency of public and private fleets by transitioning to zero-emission vehicles; and 4) adapt and make transport infrastructure more resilient so it meets the needs of a changing climate.
The Zero Emission Freight program supports cities to improve public health and reduce climate pollution by accelerating the uptake of zero-emission freight vehicles, and systems and the deployment of necessary infrastructure that supports the decarbonization of the freight sector.
The successful candidate will be a quick learner who thrives in dynamic, collaborative environments and is skilled in project coordination and administrative support across regions and teams.
The Zero Emission Freight Administration Officer is a new role that will support the Zero Emission Freight team with day-to-day administrative and coordinating functions for the Zero Emission Freight/ The Climate Pledge project.
The post holder will support the delivery of the Zero Emission Freight program with various administration functions. They will be an organized and proactive individual with good administrative, coordination, and organizing skills.
- Support the Head of Zero Emission Freight and other staff in scheduling and organising ZEF team meetings, and Strategic Advisory Committee agendas and taking meeting notes
- Assist in composing PowerPoint and conducting the final grammar/ style check of presentations for meetings and progress reports to the funder
- Support in the scheduling and booking of meetings and the associated travel functions, like securing bookings for venues, flights, and accommodations for managers
- Support the project teams in coordinating meetings, webinars, note-taking, as well as other ad-hoc tasks.
- Assist in coordination and managing corporate service functions like Finance, Contracts, and HR for the program
- Oversee the ZEF programme progress tracker across the different regions and functions, through Asana or Excel and liaise with appropriate task owners such as the Heads of Programme in the regions, to meet deadlines
- Other duties as assigned.
Person Specification: The candidate will be a motivated, self-starter who has the ability to organize, and manage administration and will enjoy working in a virtual but collaborative environment.
- Effective communicator and collaborator who is able to manage time, prioritize activities, and accomplish tasks with minimal oversight.
- Highly organized, task-driven, and detail-oriented to successfully plan and manage multiple tasks to deliver quality results within tight timeframes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Fluent in English; ability to speak other languages, specifically Spanish, a plus.
- Experience in managing or working in complex multi-stakeholder and/or multi-disciplinary processes,
- Working knowledge of cities and urban issues or working directly in or for municipal administrations.
- Project administration and coordination experience is essential
- A collaborative working style and experience of working across teams is essential
- Works well on their own initiative and can be relied on to get the job done in a busy working environment
- Excellent multitasking, organizational and time-management skills, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience in the not-for-profit sector or an international organization preferred
- Former Assistant or Operations experience preferred
- Interest in working in the charity/not-for-profit sector and/or environmental and sustainability issues
Other Requirements: Applicants must already have the right to work in the country of the selected location. Some travel may be required as part of the role.
Reporting To: Head: Zero Emission Freight
Term: Fixed Term Contract until 31st December 2025
Location: South Africa, UK
Salary: (Grade 6) South Africa ZAR 339,930, UK-GBP £35,000
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 3rd October at 5 pm BST. C40 reserves the right to close this job opening before the closing date for applications so please do submit applications early.
For any queries about the role, please contact careers@C40.org
C40 is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here to Apply; Administration Officer, Zero Emission Freight
- Organization: C40 Cities
- Country: South Africa
- City: Pretoria
- Office: C40 Cities in Pretoria